By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Foundation piecing can you help please

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
rosemary Rosenfeld10/08/2018 18:37:39
5343 forum posts
1472 photos
13 articles

Hi All...I am thinking about m​aking a quilt by foundation piecing...but I don't want to use paper and have to remove it all afterwards! I know there are special fabrics you can buy....June Tailor does one....and I might find some at FoQ.....but is there anything else I could use? I don't necessarily want it to go through the printer...so that part doesn't matter! Somebody suggested nappy liners...but now they all seem to be dissolvable...so maybe not such a good idea! Any help greatly appreciated! Best Rosemary

Margaret S10/08/2018 20:24:10
3790 forum posts
666 photos
Hi Rosemary

The Cassini quilt that I am working on is fpp. I don't mind the mess although, as Jo Avery said on Sewing Quarter yesterday, you need to keep the vacuum cleaner near by!

Before I started, I thought about using my Gutermann Solvy but decided I would rather run the paper through the printer than draw onto the Solvy. (Available from Cotton Patch) I have never used this though so can't say if it is any good.

If you don't mind leaving the foundation in, then you could always use lightweight Vilene, or whatever it is called now.

Margaret

Edited By Margaret S on 10/08/2018 20:25:49

Carol B16/08/2018 09:27:10
2981 forum posts
773 photos
2 articles

Hi R,

Have you looked at Wash-Away Appilque sheets by C & T Publishing. Although they are mainly for Applique it does say on the packaging that you can use them for paper piecing - and they just wash away smiley

You can also put them through the printer if you want to.

Carol B face 23

Fiona16/08/2018 22:35:16
3094 forum posts
460 photos

My husband found me nappy liners on ebay a few years ago but an alternative is lightweight interfacing. I don't do a lot of FPP, so am happy enough to use cheap printer paper as it doesn't take that long to remove if you use a much shorter stitch than usual (say 1.5 as opposed to usual 2.0). I have used old sheeting in the past too, if you don't mind tracing. I used a fine Sharpie & pressed with a hot iron to ensure it didn't run in the wash. I also press printed paper foundations to avoid any chance of smearing, but you'd need to check recommendations for use on commercial products.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork & Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
Janome
C&T publishing
bredons
Search Press
SewAndSo
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues