By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Popular Patchwork Announcement

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Margaret S08/05/2018 10:21:56
3790 forum posts
666 photos
Thank you Joanna for taking the time to give such a detailed reply.

I no longer have subscriptions to either magazine. For me PP lost it's way, and, this is not a negative criticism, P&Q is too traditional and not always challenging enough for me. I have 3 subscriptions for newer magazines but I am dropping one as it is aimed at beginners but it had an incredibly cheap subscription deal! Hint!

I understand the reasoning for using a particular manufacturer and their patterns. I must admit that I have never bought the fabric mentioned for a design and I usually tweak the designs too. It doesn't bother me. I do have two annoyances - firstly that so many quilts are so big and it takes me time to do the maths to reduce them and secondly when there are a number of items by the same designer in one magazine, particularly if you don't like that designer's style!

Designers that I like - Stuart Hillard, Katherine Guerrier, Jo Avery, Lynne Goldsworthy, Victoria Findlay Wolfe.

I also love my Sizzix.

Good luck with taking us lot into your fold. I hope that we behave!

Margaret
rosemary Rosenfeld08/05/2018 12:14:40
5343 forum posts
1472 photos
13 articles

I had guessed that cost was becoming more important....that is something we all have to consider at the moment!!!!

I have just compared the most recent editions of both magazines.......and yes projects are subjective and that has always been the case even if only subscribing to either magazine! The one thing I personally find easier is PP "What's On" page...... it is printed by countries then counties whereas P&Q go by date. If I know we are going to be away ....then it is easier to see what is available in a particular area.......but it is a very minor thing!

Best Rosemary

Joanna Kent08/05/2018 17:35:06
11 forum posts

Hi Margaret

​Thanks for your feedback. P&Q has always been aimed at the grassroots quilter and I appreciate once you have a few years of quilting under your belt, not all the projects may be for you, but then I'd hope our written articles might appeal.

MTM do subscription deals too (hint hint)

​We have featured a fair few smaller quilts recently, but I have to say they are difficult to style for photography sometimes!

​I understand completely re seeing the same quilt designers over and over again. It used to be one of my bugbears in the past. To some extent I hope have widened our contributor base in recent years, although some people are just geared up into making projects quickly and are quick to submit ideas of suggestions. I rarely say no to a project and if I do it's possibly because we've featured something similar recently. Maybe you'd like to submit something.....

​Of the designers you like, we'll be continuing to feature Stuart's projects as I've already said and have his newest Mystery Quilt starting in our August issue. Katherine Guerrier has long been a contributor to P&Q too, although perhaps more sporadically in recent years. Lynne's projects are usually via Makower as I haven't been able to afford her fees, although saying that we do have a project from her coming in the autumn.

​Sizzix usage - I'm afraid we always have to bear in mind not everyone has access to one of these time-saving devices so will always need to provide templates for those that don't have one.

I hope you all behave too!

​Joanna

Joanna Kent08/05/2018 17:37:25
11 forum posts

Thanks Rosemary. I guess we have always done the events page by date. Interestingly my assistant editor, Helen, has provided the text for the PP page over the last year or so....

We will be taking on board their look for our Exhibitions pages to some extent by adding a few images to brighten up the pages a little.

Joanna

Sylvia09/05/2018 09:51:39
2035 forum posts
337 photos

OMG I have been out of the loop for a few weeks and just discovered this news via a QG forum message via email. Not sure if this question has already been asked but will digital subs just be carried over as well? I live abroad so use this forum a lot to keep in touch with all my Uk quilting friends.

Joanna Kent09/05/2018 10:02:30
11 forum posts

Hi Sylvia

​Yes I would assume so. You can email help@pp.secureorder.co.uk or telephone +44 1604 828748 to check though

​Joanna

Claire Bear24/06/2018 12:44:36
1843 forum posts
411 photos

Well, I have just found this and feel like I must have been on Mars for the last couple of months.

I’m sad to see PP go and even though I subscribe to both PP and P&Q, I always felt that PP had the edge in both variety and it’s style. Let’s hope that P&Q goes forward with the best of both magazines.

I love quilting but do also enjoy projects that are smaller and include some stitchery aspects as well. I’m a massive fan of Lynette Anderson who makes lots of lovely little projects and I know she has a massive following in the uk.

I also love hatched and patched and jo colwill.

I have as much fun making book covers, needle cases and accessory items as I do making the quilts.

Well that’s my 2 penneth’s worth.

Claire

face 23

Sylvia28/06/2018 11:39:16
2035 forum posts
337 photos

Can the rest of you on here access the old PPs and now BP&Q online??

I cannot. It says I have to be a subscriber!!!

I have been in email corres. with help@ppsecureorder.co.uk who told me to register with pocketmags with my subscriber number. I registered as far as email address and password and then it just offered me hundreds of mags. to buy! There was no opportunity to enter my subscriber no.

Sue 6228/06/2018 13:05:47
571 forum posts
29 photos

MTM? I know I've just had an op on two fingers but it was a block so I really should be with-it! I'll blame it on the sun.

Only able to read, do jigsaws, watch dvds & football, come on the computer and try not to get sunburnt!! Sue* face 23

maria hewitt28/06/2018 20:34:20
940 forum posts
174 photos
Sylvia, I cannot access the old stuff either, it was nice to have access to some of the reference type articles. I no longer subscribe, I have a stash of magazines almost as big as my fabric stash, and I am bearing in mind the huge pile of old mags I had to clear out fromy mothers. Don't want to do that to my kids.... And they are definitely not interested in sewing or craft of any sort.
Maria

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork & Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sewing Quarter
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
Janome
C&T publishing
bredons
Search Press
SewAndSo
Sarik
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues