5291 forum posts
1435 photos
13 articles

Here are the messages from "Chat"

rosemary Rosenfeld08/03/2018 18:14:13
5291 forum posts
1435 photos
13 articles

Good morning everyone.... now life is back to normal for most of us I hope.... and I'm sorry for anyone without power and/or water!

I've just been"chatting" online to a friend in the USA and we got onto the subject of binding a quilt and that got me thinking! So......?

Single or double binding?

Mitred corners or a separate binding on each side?

Sewn from the right side or from reverse side?

Slip stitched by hand or machine finished?

Do you always do the same thing?

Best Rosemary

rosemary Rosenfeld08/03/2018 18:15:31
5291 forum posts
1435 photos
13 articles

so far I have been doing a 2 1/2" wide strip folded in half. sew on to the right side of the quilt with mitred corners. then slip stitched into place on the back.

But I am going to try doing wavy/ triangle bits that then stick out from the binding.

Eileen Foster

rosemary Rosenfeld08/03/2018 18:16:56
5291 forum posts
1435 photos
13 articles

Hi Rosemary,

I have FOUR that are my 'go to' bindings. it depends on time and the health of my hands...

1, Like Margaret, 2 1/2" wide strip (Not Bias) folded in half, sew to the right side with mitred corners, bring to the front and slip stitch down.

2. 2 1/2" strip folded in half, machine to the back of the quilt, again with mitred corners, and machined to the front with a leaf pattern fancy stitch.

3. I also like a flange binding that's 2 strips of fabric 1 1/4" main colour and 1 3/4" high light colour, then finish as per #1.

4. If I'm working with a fleece backing I make it 2" wider all round, cut off the corners of the fleece. and stitch the cut edges together, then bring the fleece to the front and stitch down with a zigzag to catch the edge down. Jenny Doan has a good tutorial of this. **LINK**

20170901 - grenfell #2.jpg

I just like to mix it up a bit.

By Jayne

rosemary Rosenfeld08/03/2018 18:18:03
5291 forum posts
1435 photos
13 articles

Always double binding for me. Single may be o.k. for wallhangings, but I feel that it is not strong enough for quilts that get used. Double bindings also seem to lie better and are easier to hand sew down along the fold. I usually cut on the straight grain across the width of the fabric as this has a bit of stretch, although I will cut on the bias for big curves. I nearly always join the strips with a crossway seam, even if the strip is on the straight as it spreads the wear.

I prefer to cut my strips at 1 7/8" as I like a narrow binding and it works well for me when hand sewn down on the back. Sometimes I use a 2" strip but feel that this is best sewn first onto the back and folded over to the front and machined down. Sometimes I use straight machining, sometimes machine blanket stitch.

Mitred corners never seem to go well for me so I usually bind on parallel sides.

I prefer to hand sew a binding down but it depends on time and the use for the quilt. I find it very therapeutic to hem a binding down. It's thinking time for me.

So I don't always do the same thing, but one thing I am known for is not being able to use a 2 1/2" strip!

Margaret

rosemary Rosenfeld08/03/2018 18:19:22
5291 forum posts
1435 photos
13 articles

Sorry that they all show my name but you are all named! Rx

Sylvia10/03/2018 14:58:31
2020 forum posts
335 photos

I almost always make continuous bias binding around 2" and iron in half. I usually machine sew on from back and then do a fancy stitch to hold it down on the front.

I do the stop/turn/start mitred corners which usually go OK.

Winnie the B.O.L.B11/03/2018 13:42:24
3299 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

I always do a double binding - normally narrow-ish (2 " / 2 1/8" cut strip) unless, as occasionally, I use a heavier fabric when I use a single fold and probably.a wee bit wider finish width.

Like Margaret S, where possible I cut across the width of the fabric because of the slight stretch and I always join my lengths on the cross.

If it is for a throw about, everyday lap type quilt, then I will probably do “non-mitred” corners. Again, if it is the former type, then I do machine top-stitched finishing, from the front. If the quilt has a more hand sewn type finish or is just generally for slightly gentler use, I machine stitch it to the front and hand slip stitch it to the back. I've never tried "fancy" stitching to finish it on the front - I'm going to give that a go.

Winnie/Margaret xx

Fiona13/03/2018 20:55:29
3092 forum posts
460 photos

I usually use 2 1/4" strips cut across the width of fabric for a double fold ( or French) binding as I like a "full" binding, sewn by machine on the front and slip stitched down on the back. Occasionally, especially for a baby or child quilt, I'll stitch by machine on the back and then use a decorative machine stitch to secure on the front.

I occasionally fold a fleece backing over to the front like Margaret does but I find that cheaper fleeces have a tendency to stretch so I "bag" those and topstitch around the edge to secure. I have occasionally sewn a faux binding by adding an extra border, bagging and then stitching in the ditch around that border, which is a quick solution for mug rugs, table runners, or wall hangings.

I rarely use bias strips unless I have curved edges or I want to use a stripe for a candy-cane effect. I have used a facing on wall hangings but I do prefer a double fold binding on quilts. I think they wear better and will be easier to replace in the future if needed.

Winnie the B.O.L.B14/03/2018 07:31:14
3299 forum posts
190 photos
1 articles

Sorry to be a bit "thick", but I don't know what is meant by "bagging"? Can someone be kind and explain it to me.

Regarding Fiona's comment about cutting on the bias when she wants to use a striped fabric on the "cross". When I want to use a fabric on the cross but want to avoid the inevitable stretch involved, I use a very fine iron-on Vislene (Vilene) on the back of the fabric BEFORE I cut my strips and that helps to stabilise the stretch. Hope that makes sense.

Margaret/Winnie xx

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork & Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
C&T publishing
bredons
Search Press
Sarik
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues