By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Foundation piecing

A new to me technique and I am delighted with it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eileen Foster28/02/2018 16:02:40
258 forum posts
163 photos

I have been given 2 pre-printed panels to give this a go. I don't know why I have been scared of giving trying it. I absolutely love it.

The first I did on the machine includes flying geese and a series of rht around a square. I still have to do an accent border and then join it all together, wad and back it but I don't have the material at home to do it yet.

flying geese.jpg

foundation piece.jpg

The second one is 16 courthouse steps. I decided to sew this by hand as I wanted to watch a couple of documentaries on tv last night. I finished 2 of the 16. Today due to the snow stopping me getting out in the garden I cut out all the other strips ready to do some more hand sewing tonight.courthouse steps.jpg

Edited By Eileen Foster on 28/02/2018 16:03:28

Margaret S02/03/2018 14:31:44
3763 forum posts
656 photos

Well done Eileen. I do like a 'Square within a square' that still has it's points! Same goes for flying geese.

Margaret

Eileen Foster10/03/2018 16:49:54
258 forum posts
163 photos

They are finished now and are on the show and tell thread.

I love this technique and have 2 more designs to have a go at.

Sylvia11/03/2018 09:17:00
2020 forum posts
335 photos

Well done Eileen, good work. You are obviously much better at it than I am. I have to do a small flying geese panel for this block of month quilt with my group here in Palma. There has been some cursing and unpicking and I am not finished yet. Looking at your pics I think I have cut my side triangles too small but I am trying to conserve all the fabrics I have set aside for this quilt.

It does give a lovely result though. Glad you like it.

Fiona13/03/2018 21:13:05
3092 forum posts
460 photos

Excellent work! I'm afraid that although I love how precise foundation piecing is, I'm usually happier being my slapdash self!

Sylvia, when cutting pieces, it is worthwhile drawing up an extra pattern to cut apart and then use those pieces as templates for cutting fabric. Triangles can be tricky though!

As a foundation, if I can print the patterns myself, then I use the cheapest printer paper, usually supermarket value stuff. I then use a hot dry iron to set the ink before sewing with a much smaller stitch length than usual, say 1.5 rather than 2.2. This means that the paper is easy to tear away afterwards.

For a foundation to leave in, I use disposable nappy liners and use a fine Sharpie to trace the patterns. They don't leave any discernible difference to the handling of the fabric for either sewing or quilting, by hand or machine.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork & Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
lewis and irene
The Cotton Patch
C&T publishing
bredons
Search Press
Sarik
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues