H29/10/2008 13:41:00
1116 forum posts
139 photos
What a fabulous quilt! I love it!
Alison29/10/2008 16:58:00
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

Katy, I hope you understand the pattern, I've used a gray scale to indicate light, medium and dark fabrics. Of course you do not have to use 1/2 inch hexagons, any size will do, but the smaller you go the more the pattern seems to show.

/sites/4/images/member_albums/290/Hexagon-swirls-pattern.jpg

The basic unit at the top is made up of a hexagon of hexagons having 3 sides with 5 hexagons and the other 3 with 6 hexagons.

I built up the basic units from the centre spiraling outwards, as this meant I could slide the thread up the side of a hexagon ready to sew on the next one. (This only works if your hexagons are smaller than your needle.) The units are then sewn together placing the ends of all the dark spirals together and the same with the other two shades. That sounds as clear as mud, but I hope that when you have made three basic units it will make more sense!

Alison.

Margaret Goodson29/10/2008 17:26:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Alison,

t is actually the butterfly quilt that grabs me most.  Are you able to show how you did that one?

Alison29/10/2008 18:19:00
1833 forum posts
237 photos
1 articles

Margaret, 

I may be able to provide you with some templates from the computer program I use. I will need to know what size you would like so that I can produce a sheet with the templates at that size. If you let me have your e-mail address I can then send it to you as an attachment, I've never tried that before, but there is a first time for everything!

If you would rather draw them out yourself, then you will need some isometric paper, all you do is draw a hexagon the size you want then draw a butterfly inside it. It is probably easier on a design program like quiltpro but not impossible to do on paper.

Alison.

flowerpebble01/11/2008 07:59:00
8 forum posts

Just love this quilt you have done, im very much a hexagon lady,  done many in my past, these was the 1st thing my mum ever taught me, i make lots of table mats with my hexegons,

Wonderful

Tracey

www.flowerpebble.blogspot.com

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork & Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
textile festival
Green Hill
Janome
The Cotton Patch
bredons
Sarik
Search Press
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues