By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Chat

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Katy14/10/2008 07:51:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles
If you just want to chat amongst yourselves, this is the place for general non-specific rambling and musing!
Caz15/10/2008 20:11:00
2545 forum posts
273 photos

Hi All,

Sew, how is everyone in quilting land? I am trying to get into the mood for sewing Twin no; 1's quilt together. It is 234 five inch charm squares of varying colours with 2 corner squares stitched and flipped to make triangles. It will be 18 x 13 squares when finished and will post photos eventually.

I have also started a star block quilt, but that is a slow WIP (work in progress), supposedly for my tenth wedding anniversary at the end of March.  I am hopefully going to start Brenda Deans' bag tomorrow, if I am not too tired after working 6 days on the trot . (I only work 3 days a week).

Caz

H16/10/2008 15:22:00
1116 forum posts
139 photos

Gosh, Caz, I'm not surprised you need to psych yourself up before tackling twin #1's quilt, it sounds quite daunting!  Looking forward to the photos!

Isn't Quilt Land a marvellous place to be?!

Helen

Caz16/10/2008 20:13:00
2545 forum posts
273 photos

Twin #1's quilt  is still waiting! I got into sorting out my scraps the 'Quiltville' way. That site is brilliant, for scrap quilts and hints and tips.

Then I started on Brenda's delightful bag. I don't know if I am going to shorten the handles a little. Time goes so quick when your involved in something doesn't it, coz it was nearly 4pm when I called time at the sewing machine. I'll carry on with it on Saturday.

Caz

H16/10/2008 20:19:00
1116 forum posts
139 photos

I also like the Quitville site - as you say there are some great ideas there for using up all those scraps.  What colours are you using for your 'Brenda's bag'?  It'll be interesting to see all the variations of the original bag.

Isn't it a pity that sewing time doesn't move at half the pace of normal time instead of double it?  Just think how much more we could accomplish!

Helen

Caz16/10/2008 22:48:00
2545 forum posts
273 photos

I 'auditioned' several different fat quarters for 'Brenda's Bag', and decided on a large flowery beige based 'quarter and a deep burgandy/brown for the other 'quarter. A dark brown for the background and black for the lining. The colours are better seen, than reading this discription. I have got the base for the bag already and will be using backing board (thin MDF) , that my local framing shop cut and even rounded off the corners for me!

Back to work tomorrow  but then it's the weekend off, and on to the sewing machine!!!!!

Caz

Cath18/10/2008 23:56:00
871 forum posts
195 photos

I seem to spend hours upstairs sewing, and totally neglecting other household chores! By the time I emerge, I'm not only too tired to plough through the ironing or hoovering, but I don't actually care!!! Still, now that the family have all left home, things seem to stay reasonably tidy....(except in the spare bedroom where I sew)! The two cats try very hard to make up for the absence of offspring, but somehow sleep seems to be their main priority, and hubby keeps me well oiled with tea. I'm still working three days a week, but hope to retire soon. I worry that I may become a sewing recluse! Is there such a thing? Thank goodness for this website, at least it will keep me in touch with other likeminded ladies........or maybe even the odd man, are there any of you quilting fellas out there?

I have also enjoyed making bags, and after watching the video of Gracie's bag, am contemplating getting back into it again. Half term is coming up, and I've promised to make some curtains for my son and daughtet-in-law, so maybe that will be my next project afterwards.

I just feel so sorry for folks who don't have hobbies or interests in life, the older I get, the more I want to do, Sewing, quilting, embroidery, I even woke up dreaming of it this morning.......something with lots of small blue squares, I'll have to see if I get any further ideas tonight! sweet dreams.

Caz19/10/2008 16:29:00
2545 forum posts
273 photos

Cath, when I was trying to decide what to do with the autumn swap strips, I dreamt about them. But , it did seem to help me out with the planning. I thought I may have been the only one to dream of our hobby.

As to Brenda Deans' bag, I should finish it tomorrow, then I'll post a photo of it.

Caz

Katy19/10/2008 17:40:00
8902 forum posts
5365 photos
898 articles

Oh Caz, you're definitely not the only one. I dream quilts all the time! I dreamt a design for my mum last weekend, and drew it out, but when I showed it to her she didn't like it! I was dreaming of tile floor pattern quilts this morning!

I also would rather sew than clean or cook or most household chore type things, which is very inconvenient for my children and husband. When I get going, I just want to finish stuff without interruption. We live in a very messy house!

Katy 

Margaret Goodson20/10/2008 18:56:00
121 forum posts
3 photos

I can't tell you how much I look forward to the magazine preview each month as I like to know what I can look forward to

I'm a subscriber but I'm in Spain so by the time my magazine gets here it's almost time for the next issue!  I enter the competitions and giveaways but have no way of knowing if my entries get there on time.  I will HAVE to have a go at winning that Brother machine - what a fantastic prize that is!

This morning at my quilt group one of the ladies had brought a finished Autumn Colour Drops quilt with her.  Oooh, it was so rich looking and gorgeous done in similar shades of browns, gold and creams as the original in the magazine.  She had pressed her seams open as that is what the pattern writer had suggested but I've never seen this done before.  I just wondered if anyone here presses their seams open or do you press to one side?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork!

Find Patchwork & Quiliting!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
lewis and irene
textile festival
Green Hill
SewAndSo
Search Press
C&T publishing
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues