By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Hoffman Challenge Group Quilt 2007

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Angela16/04/2009 08:38:26
1672 forum posts
349 photos
6 articles
I don't think I've shown you this quilt made by members of a Yahoo Group I belong to created 2 1/2 years ago after we took a Quilt University Class.

We decided to take part in the Hoffman Challenge in 2007 - each of us making a 12" block  depicting where we live and featuring a 'funky chicken'.  We then sent the block to the ladies in the photo - Marilyn & Lynn in California who made up the quilt and made all the arrangements for entering it.  We didn't win anything but it did go on a tour of the USA and now we're trying to decide what to do with it.  It will probably be donated to a children's home in California where Lynn grew up.

This is the block I made - Funky Chicken goes to the English Seaside...
...the challenge fabric is the chicken's shorts and bikini top

This year we are planning a 'slice quilt' - that should be interesting!

Angela

Fiona16/04/2009 14:39:16
2544 forum posts
366 photos
That's lovely! DD3 now wants a funky chicken though....
Angela16/04/2009 15:06:56
1672 forum posts
349 photos
6 articles
Sorry Fiona - I seem to remember googling it and putting a few ideas together - it was really easy to make though .
Angela
Fiona16/04/2009 16:01:56
2544 forum posts
366 photos
She's not getting one, Angela! She got a rather nice guinea fowl bag on Sunday for easter so that will have to keep her going!

It can be a nice boost to the confidence to have a 4 yr old around - every time she sees something she fancies, she says, "That's nice - you could make it Mummy!"
Angela16/04/2009 16:13:16
1672 forum posts
349 photos
6 articles
Hey Fiona...it doesn't stop at 4 years old - my DD is 21 and she's still asking me to make quilts for her!! .  The latest request is for a cushion for her BF's 21st birthday - now, there lies a tale.

When she was 16 I made a cushion featuring the Beatles for her BF - not long after they split up. 

When she was 18 I made a cushion featuring Slash from Guns & Roses for her BF - this relationship also ended not long after.

When she was19 she asked me to make a cushion for a lovely lad she was seeing.  You will understand why I wasn't keen, but I finally gave in.  To cut a long story short she was supposed to be meeting him in Australia to backpack for 18 months.  A month before he told her he'd decided he didn't want her to go - he wanted to do it on his own.  Imagine the devastation that caused!

This BF we're not terribly keen on so I hope the curse of the cushions works this time too - I'll post a photo when it's done - it's Pete Doherty .

Angela
Kerstin16/04/2009 16:52:49
638 forum posts
118 photos
Hi Angela, 

a very Quilt. 

you got me laughing reading the story with the cushion. You DD must think you jinks the cushions. lol.

Fiona- like Angelas said it does not stop with the age of 4. My son already has a few Quilts and every so on ask for cushions for the chairs or he will say " Mom, I need a small presant  could you pleaseeeee make me this or that"  But what can I say . I love it.

Kerstin 
Marian T16/04/2009 18:22:30
3881 forum posts
441 photos
Fantastic cushion story Angela...it made me laugh too....if only it was that simple to get rid of our offspring's dead wood - I'd have done it myself - but I wouldn't with my daughter's partner now - he's a great dad and they are well suited.....Ooops must keep my voice down as I don't want to jinx it

Marian
Jane Rae16/04/2009 19:52:05
72 forum posts
17 articles
Hi Angela

We definitely need to put your latest cushion in our Show and Tell pages! Can't wait to see it.

Great story
Jane 
Angela16/04/2009 19:56:06
1672 forum posts
349 photos
6 articles
I'm glad you all enjoyed the story - it's really true too!  My son has a lovely girlfriend of almost 2 years and I flatly refuse to make her a cushion .

Angela
Janet M16/04/2009 23:08:19
5698 forum posts
1170 photos
4 articles
Oh Angela, I really needed a laugh and you did it for me.  What a brilliant story about the cushions. Pete Doherty, yuk, that would send me running straight away anyway. Looking forward to hearing what happens in the next instalment.
janet

oops forgot to say the quilt made me smile too, loved your funky chicken.

Edited By JanetMcE on 16/04/2009 23:09:05

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Threads and Patches
Janome
Sizzix
Creative Grids
JB Quilting Fabrics
The Cotton Patch
Advertise With Us
Subscription Gift!
Subscribe to Popular Patchwork and receive a FREE gift!
Contact us

Got a Popular Patchwork problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues