By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

how do you start?

cutting out a new project

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Eileen Foster27/12/2017 11:36:08
187 forum posts
141 photos

I have been given 5 fabrics to make a quilt for the owner of the Honsea Sewing Centre in Hornsea east Yorkshire.

I have decided to use Shoo fly as the patch as it is easy to construct.

Its all planned out on paper.

p1070358.jpg

p1070357.jpg

I've worked out how many 41/2" squares and rht I need of each fabric for each patch[ a total of 120 rht and 75 squares].

My dilemma is do I cut them all out in one go or per patch?

what way do you do it? open to any advice thanks?

Margaret S27/12/2017 12:50:39
3684 forum posts
631 photos
Hi Eileen

I would tend to cut out all the squares for the hsts first. I am assuming that you are making the hsts the easy way - cut out two squares and machining 1/4" each side of the centre line and then cutting through the centre? Remembering to allow extra for the extra seam allowance when cutting the squares.

The advantage of cutting and making them all first is that you can play and make sure that your colour placement is right. Same goes for the squares.

Margaret
Eileen Foster27/12/2017 18:51:36
187 forum posts
141 photos

Thanks for the info Margaret. I usually cut the triangles in pairs as triangles from a double fold 41/2" strip. So far I've not had a problem with them. I have resisted the hsts method as it uses more fabric and in the past I've had to be

careful with my cutting.

you add 3/8" is that right?

the lady at the Hornsea sewing centre uses accuquilt go cutter but I find that so wasteful. well it has been when I've tried to use it.

pamela jeffrey27/12/2017 22:54:42
3130 forum posts
111 photos

Eileen

I would not know where to start doing this.

Just wanted to say I like the Hornsea sewing centre. She used to be in Cottingham near Hull, which was better for me

Bye Pam

Eileen Foster28/12/2017 12:31:04
187 forum posts
141 photos

Yes that's right Pam. Ann moved from Cottingham [2 miles from where I live]. It was she who got me into patchwork when I retired. She had a retail outlet at the Hornsea retail park. She is now at Newbiggin in Hornsea. I go through every week supposedly to sew but it often becomes just a sew and natter.

I've decided to cut everything out in one go. then I can chain stitch all I can in one go. then press everything etc.

Margaret S29/12/2017 16:44:42
3684 forum posts
631 photos
I think that is the right way to start Eileen. It also means that you will know if you have the right amount of fabric. I admire your triangle cutting technique. I need a bit of wriggle room so I prefer cutting squares.

I think Pam has an Accuquilt whilst I have Sizzix machines. They can be wasteful if you don't work it out before cutting, but they do save time and the shapes are all cut the same size. I wince at how much beautiful fabric Stuart wastes on C&C.

Margaret
Eileen Foster29/12/2017 18:31:41
187 forum posts
141 photos

I will have loads of fabric left as I have a metre of each. I have started cutting out the squares as they are straight forward. 4 of the 5 fabrics have a clear right way as they are either words or dogs facing a fixed direction.

I know what you mean about Stuart. I find these types of programmes can be very wasteful.

pamela jeffrey29/12/2017 19:09:19
3130 forum posts
111 photos

Yes I have the accuqquilt machine, there is no need to waste so much fabric

It is not a machine you use every day but very use full. More for applique shapes

One of the groups I belong to has the machine, so I can borrow the dies, which save me money.

Bye Pam

Eileen Foster05/01/2018 22:30:51
187 forum posts
141 photos

well it is all cut out and I went for 41/2" triangles to make sure they face the right way. It took about 2 1/2 hrs to cut out. Each block is made up. I just have to sash etc. I'm joings 3 blocks per row and then qayg the 5 rows. Eileen

Eileen Foster12/01/2018 21:09:49
187 forum posts
141 photos

it is finished and I will post a picture on show and tell over the weekend. x

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork & Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
The Cotton Patch
lewis and irene
textile festival
Janome
Green Hill
Search Press
bredons
C&T publishing
Sarik
SewAndSo
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues