By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Celtic Appliqué

Clover design sheets

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
stephs stitches.10/09/2017 14:07:44
148 forum posts
92 photos

Hello, I'm thinking of having a go at Celtic Appliqué using my own bias tape. The instructions I've found online so far say to use "Clover Design Sheets", for actually assembling the tape into the desired pattern using an iron. Can anyone tell me if this is really necessary? I usually buy a roll of good quality greaseproof paper from the supermarket to use for tracing etc. Also, I wonder how freezer paper is actually used? I'd never heard of freezer paper until I started patchwork quilting so I'm a bit confused 🤔

rosemary Rosenfeld10/09/2017 14:15:46
4991 forum posts
1309 photos
13 articles

Sorry Steph........ I have only used bias tape once...and that was for a very simple design. I have used freezer paper....but for needle turned applique only. I'm sure somebody will be of more help! Best Rosemary

Margaret S10/09/2017 14:29:16
3616 forum posts
620 photos
Steph

The only reason I can see for using a Clover Design Sheet is because you would be using Clover bias tape with it's adhesive backing. Not necessary if you are making your own tape without putting an adhesive strip on the back.

I trace the design onto the fabric and pin the tape to it, or if using Clover ready made bias tape then lightly iron it into position.

The most important thing to remember with Celtic is that the tape should go under one intersection and over the next, which is why I prefer not to stick it down.

As for Freezer paper, unlike greaseproof paper, the shiny side will stick to fabric when pressed with an iron, but some makes are difficult to remove afterwards!

This is a quick response. Hope it makes sense.

Margaret
stephs stitches.10/09/2017 14:37:47
148 forum posts
92 photos

Thankyou very much for your speedy and sound advice. I guess it's going to be one of those trial and error sort of things. I'll start small and see how I get on. All good fun 🤡 I'll let you know how I get on

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork!

Find Patchwork & Quiliting!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Janome
lewis and irene
textile festival
Green Hill
SewAndSo
Search Press
C&T publishing
bredons
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues