By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Cutting fabric.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
stephs stitches.09/02/2017 18:43:31
143 forum posts
90 photos

Hi everyone, I have a question about scissors, I have two pairs of what I call dressmaking scissors, because that's what they were originally used for. They are both over 30 years old and were good quality scissors when they were new. By now as you can imagine they are not as sharp,as they could be. My problem is that I can't find anyone locally that sharpens scissors so should I treat myself to some new ones or shall I risk buying one those sharpening gadgets that I've seen online in various places? Has anyone any experience of these gadgets?

Margaret S10/02/2017 15:27:38
3590 forum posts
609 photos
Hi Steph

Unless they are really really top of the range I personally would replace with a new pair. I have never had scissors sharpened as when they are old they tend to get relegated to kitchen or garden scissors. I don't know much about the sharpening gadgets either. I have read that people were not too impressed with the rotary cutter blade sharpeners.

Saying all that I have a 53 year old pair of embroidery scissors that are still very sharp and I love them, but I only use them for special projects!

Margaret
stephs stitches.14/02/2017 09:58:04
143 forum posts
90 photos

Thanks for your answer Margaret, i think i'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy some new ones, and relegate the old ones to the kitchen drawer. I was given some money as a birthday gift so i think that would be a worthwhile thing to spend it on. i sure i wont regret it. smiley

Teresa 196015/02/2017 10:23:41
42 forum posts
8 photos

Before you relegate your old scissors to the kitchen drawer you might want to have a look at these people http://www.prosharp.co.uk. I haven't used them personally but a friend has and was delighted with the service they provided.

Hope it helps.

Marian C15/02/2017 12:10:15
46 forum posts
16 photos

If the scissors have obvious nicks in the blades, they may be past their best and need professional sharpening. I use a Fiskars Sew sharp restorer ( a small hand held orange device, about £4) to sharpen my small embroidery scissors and medium sized scissors - it really hones and sharpens the tips and makes a big difference to their cutting ability.

Carol B16/02/2017 11:19:58
2899 forum posts
705 photos
2 articles

I also have a Fiskars Sew Sharp, it is good for small scissors but I have never actually tried it on my large ones, with using a rotary cutter so much my larger scissors still have a good cutting edge, thankfully.

Carol B face 23

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
textile festival
Janome
lewis and irene
Armator AS
JB Quilting Fabrics
SewAndSo
C&T publishing
Search Press
bredons
warm company us
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues