By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Fiona

Here is a list of all the postings Fiona has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: PP Birthday Club 2018
08/04/2018 08:52:58

Birthday 2018

08/04/2018 08:52:04

Thank you ladies for my wishes and squishies. Eileen, your's arrived on the day itself and Sue's came yesterday. I had a lovely day out at Sissinghurst Castle and was lucky to find a pile of quilting books in the second hand bookshop there. On the way home, I spotted a quilt shop in Headcorn so we doubled back to park and I found more treasure!

I've been having technical issues trying to upload from my phone, so redid my photos today on my tablet. Apologies for the delay.Birthday 2018 charms

Thread: International Quilting weekend 2018
04/04/2018 20:24:19

Sorry that I didn't get around to posting what I did in the end. Most was spent unpicking but I spent a few hours handsewing my Lucy Boston homage and also tried tidying my sewing area. Most of my fat quarters are back on their shelves after our recent building work but somehow or other, they wouldn't all fit back in so I ended up putting all my batiks in an underbed box and a couple of others hold my black and whites and boating fabrics. So quite how I still never have the right fabric is a mystery!!!

04/04/2018 20:16:01

A few squishies arrived - from Rosemary, Beryl and Margaret, thank you ladies.

The weather has been awful for the last few days so no plans for tomorrow yet. Hoping to go out with my husband for part of it anyway, and we will probably visit at least one fabric shop!

27/03/2018 19:04:04
I think I have a squishy today, postmarked Nottingham.
Thread: Easter Bunting
17/03/2018 12:22:30

Jayne, I will PM you. x

17/03/2018 11:07:40
Morning ladies. I'm currently watching The Quilt Show and working on my homage to Lucy Boston, based on her Patchwork of the Crosses.
16/03/2018 14:44:52
Happy birthday, Sue! Hope the sun is shining for you as it is here.
Thread: Chat
15/03/2018 13:41:35

Maria, I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. My children always seem to be coming and going too. We had work done int he house last month and all my fabric got packed into suitcases. I don't think I'll be able to squeeze into the shelves it came from either! And much as I want tto work on my HST project from a few years ago on here, I'm now beginning to wonder where on earth it is!

Add a new family member into the mix ( a beautiful black car named Tarmac) and life is somehow getting busy agin!

Thread: How do yo u do your bindings
15/03/2018 13:30:06

Winnie, that's a good idea to avoid stretch. Starch does the same job too. I need to make some more starch up, actually. I bought a bag from Lakeland a few years ago and mix it with alcohol instead of water in a spray bottle, but plain ordinary cornflour does the trick too apparently. The alcohol means it keeps for ages.

15/03/2018 13:24:01

I'll keep a note of how long I sew, Rosemary! I was thinking I could make some progress on some UFOs I have from various groups on here, such as my HSTs.

Thread: Foundation piecing
13/03/2018 21:13:05

Excellent work! I'm afraid that although I love how precise foundation piecing is, I'm usually happier being my slapdash self!

Sylvia, when cutting pieces, it is worthwhile drawing up an extra pattern to cut apart and then use those pieces as templates for cutting fabric. Triangles can be tricky though!

As a foundation, if I can print the patterns myself, then I use the cheapest printer paper, usually supermarket value stuff. I then use a hot dry iron to set the ink before sewing with a much smaller stitch length than usual, say 1.5 rather than 2.2. This means that the paper is easy to tear away afterwards.

For a foundation to leave in, I use disposable nappy liners and use a fine Sharpie to trace the patterns. They don't leave any discernible difference to the handling of the fabric for either sewing or quilting, by hand or machine.

Thread: Chat
13/03/2018 21:01:35

Oh, I am so pleased to hear about Katy and her girls.

Life here is quiet, or as quiet as it can be with a teenager in the house! I have been sewing as much as I can and will share some photos soon.

Thread: How do yo u do your bindings
13/03/2018 20:55:29

I usually use 2 1/4" strips cut across the width of fabric for a double fold ( or French) binding as I like a "full" binding, sewn by machine on the front and slip stitched down on the back. Occasionally, especially for a baby or child quilt, I'll stitch by machine on the back and then use a decorative machine stitch to secure on the front.

I occasionally fold a fleece backing over to the front like Margaret does but I find that cheaper fleeces have a tendency to stretch so I "bag" those and topstitch around the edge to secure. I have occasionally sewn a faux binding by adding an extra border, bagging and then stitching in the ditch around that border, which is a quick solution for mug rugs, table runners, or wall hangings.

I rarely use bias strips unless I have curved edges or I want to use a stripe for a candy-cane effect. I have used a facing on wall hangings but I do prefer a double fold binding on quilts. I think they wear better and will be easier to replace in the future if needed.

Thread: Underground Railroad Sampler
07/02/2018 13:55:31

Don't faint ladies but I am on the homeward stretch of my monster quilt! In December 2016, I won a bursary prize at one of my quilt groups and am due to do a presentation in March about how I spent my money and what I have learnt. I was full of ideas at the time and it really gave my quilting mojo a huge boost. However, just a few months later I found myself seriously ill again and sewing crawled to a halt, although I did manage some baby quilts. So I decided to get out my blocks from this project and put them together. As I now have a smaller bed, it meant a bit of complicated maths to resize and rearrange the blocks but it's underway again. At least, all the blocks are quilted!

15/01/2018 12:10:16

hi Val, hoping you have my squishy which was posted last Monday?

30/11/2017 19:12:46

Hi, sorry I've been rather quiet recently but I'd miss not being involved in the birthday swap. I'd like charm squares if possible. Will message you now, rosemary re colour, etc.

Thread: Lend with care
07/11/2017 23:33:53

Such good news about the ladies who have repaid their loans, and good that that means we can help others too.

Thread: PP Birthday Club 2017
07/11/2017 23:31:02

Oh, Beryl,, I am so sorry to have got my dates muddled up too. I'll get it in the post on Thursday.

19/10/2017 12:43:51

Hope you are having a lovely day, Marian. cakegiftrosecocktailhotlove

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Popular Patchwork or Patchwork & Quilting? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Popular Patchwork & Patchwork & Quilting

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
lewis and irene
Janome
textile festival
The Cotton Patch
SewAndSo
Search Press
bredons
Sarik
C&T publishing
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues