By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more

Member postings for Steph

Here is a list of all the postings Steph has made in our forums. Click on a thread name to jump to the thread.

Thread: Block of The Month Quilt
22/06/2008 17:49:00

Fabrix of Lancaster... now there's a blast from the past!

I remember shopping there to buy stuff for my textiles projects at school (ex-LGGS girl here).

So... Babs, is that where you still hide out?

--
Steph 

Thread: Questions about different techniques
21/05/2008 23:24:00

I use the method demonstrated by Sharon Schamber here on youtube and have never had a problem with puckering on the backs of my quilts. It is time consuming to do, but I find that the backing doesn't slip or slide around when I'm quilting. It also means that I can baste some of it and wander off to do something else before returning to it, and it hasn't stretched, slipped or moved. I've also been known to start off the basting process, get bored (I hate the basting part - which explains why I have so many WiPs which are just completed tops (and have the backing and batting cut  and bias binding made) but aren't completed) and put the part basted quilt to one side in order to start yet another top, when I do go back to it, everything is still where I left it - it does however mean that my dining room table or kitchen island is out of use whilst I am actually basting, but in the long run, the backs look as good as the front. 

Now, if I could only get my binding to look as good

--
Steph

Thread: supersekrit.jpg
22/04/2008 19:05:00

Thanks

It was a  minor nightmare with all the triangles - it's the first one I have done with so many half square triangles.

The instructions were really good though - easy to follow.

--
Steph

Thread: Mountains of Fabric
12/04/2008 01:09:00

I've got a children's storage unit from IKEA that I use (Picture of it here - courtesy of the IKEA website) You can choose which size boxes you have, and I believe that they have now started to sell boxes for it which come with lids, although don't quote me on that!

--
Steph

Thread: Inches or centimetres?
12/04/2008 01:00:00

I use imperial, for cooking, weighing myself, patchwork and well, almost everything (I'm struggling to think of anything I don't use imperial for - distance I swim I think). I do get horribly confused when people give me numbers in m or kg - I asked my Doctor last time I was weighed to give me my weight in real numbers when he told me my weight in kg!

None of this would be a problem if I wasn't a Maths teacher! I teach the students how to calculate in and use metric units. I think I'm helped in that area because most school rulers are only in cm and mm now. I think for calculations metric is easier - whilst I use imperial all the time, there have been occasions where I have called my Dad to ask him how many lbs are in a stone or oz in a lb (I have inches in a foot and feet in a yard sorted).

I really don't see the point of forcing a switch to one method or another, however, the younger generation don't meet imperial units outside of conversion charts which is a really quite short topic area.

--
Steph

Thread: Questions about different techniques
12/04/2008 00:49:00

Oh those bits horribly confused me too!

I'm going to make up another one, and will post photos of it in various stages if you want - silly me forgot to take a picture of the one I made for my niece-to-be (she's using hers to store all her paper crafting tools)

Then again, I'm probably far too late now to help!

--
Steph

Thread: Block of The Month Quilt
12/04/2008 00:38:00

Thanks Katy, I'll try work out how I missed that when I was trawling through their website earlier. Cotton Patch is on my route home from work and I've already spent who knows how much in there!

Will 5" charms be large enough? Or should I grab FQs of the various fabrics I want? 

--
Steph 

11/04/2008 22:29:00

I'm wanting to follow the Block of the Month (I even got hold of last months magazine since I missed it) and I really like the colour scheme that is in it, but I can't seem to find the fabrics anywhere (at least not by the names given in the May magazine).

Could anyone point me in the right direction, I'm Birmingham based atm (was born a Lancastrian though, to add to the North West contingent), but I don't mind ordering online.

Thanks in advance, and hopefully soon I'll have my (probably terrible) blocks to show you all,

--
Steph

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Threads and Patches
lewis and irene
John James
Janome
Colouricious
Just Hands On TV
JB Quilting Fabrics
warm company us
Search Press
C&T publishing
Subscription Gift!
Subscribe to Popular Patchwork and receive a FREE gift!
Contact us

Got a patchwork or quilting problem? Looking for a phone number or email address to ask someone for help? Click here to find the right person

Digital Back Issues

Popular Patchwork Digital Back Issues